Just put up my first jar of walnut infused oil. I am going to make this oil two different ways and see which one works the best. This oil is made just by putting the whole nut into oil and the other way is made by grating the green outer layer into oil. Above are the steps I took to make this oil.
1. You will need Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or another carrier oil of your choice), A Large Wide mouth Mason Jar (the walnuts are a bit large!), chop sticks (I really did not use them with this oil but normally I use them for getting air bubbles out of the oils and making sure all of the plant is under the oil so it does not mold), and some walnuts just dropped from the tree on a sunny day.
2. Place walnuts in the jar
3. Cover the walnuts in oil making sure that the oil completely covers all the nuts.
4. Label the jar with the plant, date, and oil type
5. Place in a dark dry place for 6 weeks. Check everyday for the 1st week to make sure that the oil covers the nuts and if not add more oil. Check every week after just to make sure everything is going all right.
6. After 6 weeks strain out the nuts and let the oil sit for one more week so that all the junk (extra water, plant bits) can settle out and pour the oil into another jar making sure not to include the junk at the bottom.
7. You will need a tiny holed mesh strainer and a large bowl to catch the oil because of the size of the nuts.
8. I am going to put up a post on the 2nd way to make this oil shortly and we will see which one works the best.